Yesterday I had Chemo again. I have continued to feel better and better every day leading up to Chemo. Heather said I even had that skip in my step again. Before Chemo we reviewed the CT scan taken on Tuesday. The results were overall good with some questions. The tumor in my liver and lung remained the same size or were slightly smaller despite the fact that I had been off Chemo for 7 weeks- this of course is very good news. In addition there was no sign of fluid or larger abscess as a result of removing the liver tube. It will be 3 weeks tomorrow that the don.jpgliver tube was pulled! The only questionable results were two very small dots above the lung tumor in the mid-lobe of the same lung. They could be additional sites of the tumor but it is unlikely since the larger tumors are not growing and yesterday began our second chemo after surgery- we will just have to wait and see. The liver and lung are much less inflamed and at some point we are going to just have to go in with surgery since we still can’t tell what is normal or dead cancer cells.

You might recall we had planned a family trip to Hawaii last fall just after I was diagnosed with cancer. Heather and I had to stay home but the boys were able to go with our friends the Dupars. Well, we have a year to use our tickets and since I am feeling so good, and it happens to be our 20th wedding anniversary on September 5th, we are planning on taking an anniversary trip in October. Johnny will be in Germany by then and Bo will be back in school. Needless to say we are pretty excited about this. We will plan on the surgery of my liver when we return.

Because I still have some bleeding in my colon I am having another Colonoscopy next week to determine the source of the blood. You may recall it was the Colonoscopy that originally diagnosed my cancer.

My Chemo began well with both the steroid and Benadryl. This was followed by the Chemo Taxol which is dispensed over about 2 hours. This was followed by the Chemo Carboplatin. I was sleeping when the Chemo’s were switched over but woke up to my lungs burning and having some difficulty breathing. I got up and went to the bathroom and notified my nurse when I returned. By then my body was red and I was itching like crazy. Dr Doug Lee rushed over and they said I was having an allergic reaction the the Carboplatin- not unusual, yet it usually happens before now in treatment. I was given four times the steroid and Benadryl to get me back to normal. I was also given another CT scan to make sure there were no new blood clots. I left feeling completely fine.

Today I returned and we tried the Carboplatin again. This time it was given very slowly. Usually it is given over 45 minutes- today it was given over 2 hours. All went well and after heading home I decided to come up to Whidbey and get the house in order for Heather’s birthday and the Neiswenders that will be with us as well. It should be a great weekend.

I have been told by several of you that the ups and downs of my journey reads better than a lot of novels. I am glad I have not let you down in having a routine Chemo treatment. Blessings to you, thank you again for all your prayers..

Hope you enjoy my first music video of random pictures taken over the last year. I created the music video using I made it to surprise Heather for her birthday.

««Previous - Next»»


3 Comments so far

  1. art curtis on August 18, 2007 2:53 pm

    Hey Don, the music video is very impressive. Your slow recovery to some degree of normalcy is a wonderful thing. You look better already and Heather and the boys all look so happy and involved in life.
    I have been really busy and Josh is starting a new Web company so we have been in Tahoe for some design consultation for the main page. Its going to be a great website. So I follow your blog regularly as does your two other cousins down here. We are all praying and inspired by your determination and positive experiences. God Bless you all.

  2. kls80 on August 20, 2007 12:36 pm

    Hey Don (AKA Bruce Willis)! So glad to hear that you are doing amazing! I am glad that your times up at Whidbey the past couple weeks have been very rich and blessed. Sam and I were talking the other night how we haven’t seen you since the day after we moved in. We miss you! We would love to have the whole family over for dinner sometime soon to celebrate Heather’s birthday and reconnect. Hope all is well! Love you,

  3. Jim Kraft on December 7, 2007 5:18 pm

    I’ve been watching your video blogs when I stumbled across this amazing music video. I don’t know if you’ll read this, but I want you to know that you have touched my heart deeply. Thank you for loving Heather. Thank you for loving your kids and all of your wonderful friends. And thank you for letting me be even a small part of it. I love you brother. Jim

You must be a registered user and logged in to post a comment.